Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dining on a Dime: Brown Sugar Pound Cake

I went back and forth on this recipe. When I first heard about it I was very excited. Then I had trouble finding a recipe I really liked. I finally settled on one I liked and made it. It's divine. The issue is its not what I would consider super cheap. Ultimately my decision was to go for it. What is life without a little indulgence? And this certainly qualifies as an indulgence. It is NOT diet food by any stretch of the imagination. It's dense and a bit rich, but not too sweet.

You will need:
  • 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups butter
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
First, preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and butter until light and fluffy. 

Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla.  Alternate mixing in the flour, baking soda, and milk until everything is incorporated. The batter will be very thick.
 Pour into your prepared pan and bake 60 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before you remove from the pan.


Of course, this one didn't come out quite perfectly for me. Even though my toothpick came clean, it wasn't quite done in the middle, but that's ok. It also didn't come out of the pan quite perfectly.
Baking fail.

 But, it tastes wonderful. It's subtle, if that makes sense, but very yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment