Friday, September 7, 2012

Dining on a Dime: Stretching Your Ground Meat

I know, I know... I've been doing a ton of recipes lately. Cooking in one of the things that relaxes me and life has been a little stressful lately, so you'll just have to deal with it for awhile. ;) I'll try to have a crafting or Pinterest test up before the weekend is out.

Moving on, this is one of those simple tricks we have been using for awhile and it didn't occur to me until tonight that it would be a great tip to share with all of you.

We all know food is expensive these days, so it nice to be able to stretch what you can further. We typically buy ground turkey in bulk at Sam's and then freeze what we can't use immediately. Awhile back we were experimenting with trying different flavors with our burgers and decided to add in some finely chopped mushrooms (I typically pulse a few handfuls of button mushrooms in the food processor) in with the meat and seasoning. It's that simple. A pound of meat will usually make us two good sized and one smaller burger, but with this there is easily enough for two big and two smaller burgers (or three burgers if you want to be obvious about it.)

The results were surprisingly delicious.

The burgers came out super moist, but there wasn't a strong mushroom flavor and there was not really a texture difference from regular burgers, so this might be a good way to sneak more vegetables into food for the kiddies. You can always add more mushrooms to get more of the mushroom flavor. We have never tried this with ground beef, only because I don't usually buy it, but I'm sure it would be tasty as well.

How do you guys stretch your food further? I'd love to hear from my readers and try out some new recipes myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment