Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dining on a Dime: Corn Pancakes

I love to make breakfast. That has been one of the perks of my current job: since the earliest I ever have to be there is 9:45 a.m., there is almost always time to make breakfast should the fancy strike me. This is a recipe I've used before, and I'll be honest, I have no idea where I found it. Still, it's too easy and too delicious not to share with you.


You will need:
  • 1 8.5 oz. package of corn muffin mix (like Jiffy)
  • 2 Tbsp. Baking mix (like Bisquick)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
Whisk ingredients together. Cook as you would regular pancakes, with one caveat: Typically when you are making pancakes you would watch for the bubbles to pop on the surface of the pancake and the edges to dry a bit before you flip them. That doesn't happen with these. As a result I burned the first batch I ever made. The best advice I can give you is to give them a few minutes and then just check them. For me, I just can sort of feel when they need to be flipped. It sounds weird, I know, but that's the only advice I can really give you.

This recipe made 6  four to five inch pancakes. They are nice and thick pancakes, too, very filling. Slather with butter and syrup and its time to chow down. Mmmmm.

I snagged a few boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix for $.50 at the store this week, making this recipe very inexpensive. I also like to have the mixes around because I use them in my phenomenal cornbread. (See Dining on a Dime: Sweet & Spicy Turkey Chili).

No comments:

Post a Comment