Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dining on a Dime: Chicken Pesto English Muffins

This one is a favorite in our house. It's incredibly easy to make and I try to keep the ingredients on hand for it. I actually "borrowed" the recipe from my friend Monica (she is a better cook than I am, so I borrow her cooking ideas often).

What you will need:
  • Chicken breast, cut into small pieces
  • English muffins
  • Pesto
  • Fresh mozzarella
  • Fresh basil (optional)
You'll notice I didn't list any amounts. That's because this one is easy to adjust depending on how many people you need to feed and how hungry they are. I used two fairly good sized chicken breasts to make six of these and had a little bit of chicken left over. I usually just pop the leftover chicken into the fridge to use on a sandwich or in a wrap the next day.

Step 1:  Cook your chicken. I usually season mine with a little salt, pepper and garlic, but that is entirely up to you and your tastes.


Step 2: While your chicken is cooking through, slice your English muffins, if necessary, and place them on a baking sheet...


...and slice your mozzarella.


Step 3: Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, place on your English muffin halves and top with a spoonful of pesto. You can make your own pesto if you like, its fairly simple, but since my basil did not survive the last spring frost, I just buy a big jar from Sam's and have been pretty happy with that.


Step 4. Add a slice of mozzarella to each. Top with fresh basil if you like. Thanks to my friend Shelby, I actually had a little bit this time.



Step 5: Place your pan under the broiler on low until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Remove. Serve. 



That's it! So easy and so tasty!!

1 comment: