Monday, July 9, 2012

Handy Dandy Tips: Pinterest Scrub Test

I'm not ashamed to say that I spend a fair amount of time on Pinterest.  In fact, that might be a bit of an understatement. I'm pretty much addicted.

If you spend much time on Pinterest yourself you have probably run across pins featuring old jelly roll pans miraculously restored to practically new. I had and being in possession of a least one shady looking jelly roll pan myself I decided I would give this "miracle" a try. (You can check out the post that inspired my test here: One Good Thing by Jillee.)

You will need:
  •  Baking soda
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Tea Tree Oil (optional) 
All you do is mix the above ingredients into a paste and scrub over the pan.  I started out with only the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, but later added a few drops of the tea tree oil after reading somewhere that it can help with greasy pans.

Here is what I started with:




And after scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing, this is what I ended up with:





Better, but clearly not perfect, and definitely not as good as the examples I was seeing all over Pinterest.  My verdict? It works, but I just don't have the time or desire (or, let's face it, the upper body strength) to scrub for the necessary amount of time to really get my pan sparkling. Ultimately, I decided that I don't really show the pans off to my guests anyway and figure this is something I can really forgo in the future.

Another use I have seen for the same mixture listed above is to clean the white residue off of black plastic cooking utensils. Here are mine before:





And after:



Again, better, but not perfect. However, this one is one I'm more likely to continue doing. I use these all the time and would prefer they look clean when they actually are.



So it turns out: Pinterest does not always have all the answers. I know. I'm shocked too. That's to say this didn't work, but it certainly wasn't the miracle part of me was expecting. Let me know if you try it out with better results!



1 comment:

  1. The credit for my successful Pinterest account goes to PinPinterest [com]. I used to spend a lot of time on Pinterest and still, I was not able to get a decent amount of followers. For the first time, I used PinPinterest for my Pinterest account automation, and it became the savior of my sinking account. Within a few weeks, I got a lot of active followers, thanks to PinPinterest.

    ReplyDelete