Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dining on a Dime: Mini Cinnamon Rolls

We've had a pretty rough week at our house: two bouts of a vicious stomach bug that sent me to urgent care and left us both tired and headache-y the rest of the week. So, between missing work and the unexpected medical bills I acquired, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself this weekend and was in desperate need of a pick-me-up. I came up with a great one. Who doesn't love mini cinnamon rolls? AND, its even better because they are super quick, easy and more importantly, cheap.

 
On a side note, check out our new table in the background there! It's an awesome rustic, farmhouse table, built entirely by Deven from reclaimed pallet wood. It's beautiful!!!

Anyway, back to the cinnamon rolls. You will need:
  • One roll of crescent roll dough
  • Butter or margarine, softened
  • Cinnamon sugar
  • Simple glaze (see below)
First, preheat your oven to 375°F. Next, unroll your crescent dough. Separate the dough into four rectangles consisting of two triangles of dough and press the seams together. I smooshed the dough out a little flatter as well. Next, spread a little of the butter or margarine over the entire rectangle of dough and then sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar. Don't know how to make cinnamon sugar? You're in luck, because its super easy (and nice to have around the house to go on your toast). Simply mix together sugar with a sprinkle of cinnamon to taste.

Next, roll up the dough from one of the short ends and slice. 



Place the slices on a cookie sheet and bake 9 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and drizzle with glaze.

Now, I know not everyone knows how to make a glaze, but you should. It is one of the quickest and easiest ways to fancy up your baking just a little, and its very versatile. For this recipe I took a few heaping tablespoons of powdered sugar and added a few drops of vanilla extract. Then, I mixed in mall quantities of milk until I had the consistency I was looking for. The great thing with glaze is, you can use just the milk and sugar, or water. Or booze and sugar. I've make some really yummy amaretto glaze for an amaretto cake before. The only limit is really your imagination.

2 comments:

  1. Love the table and your creative presentation. Great job making cinnamon rolls! Now I want some. All I have is a can of flaky biscuits that I can make donuts with and a simple glaze on top. Hope you guys are feeling better. All our love to you both. Rosa and Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cinnamon rolls were awesome! And cute! That's right, I said cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete