Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dining on a Dime: Pancake Squares

Breakfast food can almost always make me happy... Fur actual breakfast, for dinner, whatever, I love it. Here lately I've been on something of a pancake kick. We were all out of baking mix Saturday morning, so I decided to improvise and made some corn meal pancakes. They were super yummy, but are, alas, a story for another day. Sunday (and I admit, again this morning) I made these pancake squares. They are so good and unbelievably easy!!
This is yet another Pinterest discovery. The original recipe can be found here at the Big Red Kitchen.

This recipe could not be any easier and all of the ingredients are things that I generally have available. You get all the pancake taste without all the work of waiting over the griddle and flipping. I didn't take many pictures, because it didn't seem important that you have pictures of me mixing batter.

You will need:

3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8x8 baking dish and set aside.

In a bowl whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg and sugar. Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and salt. Just like with muffin batter it is important that you DO NOT OVER MIX! Lumps are alright in this case. Pour the batter into your pan.
I sprinkled some chocolate chips on half for Deven and left my half plain. You could just as easily add them to all of the batter or even sprinkle the top with fruit. Whatever you like.

Place the pan in the over and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. I usually test with a toothpick for doneness, particularly with this recipes, since it doesn't really brown much.
Serve just like you would pancakes. Yum, yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment